Wednesday 11 February 2015

Follow the Journey from Uk to Buzludzha in Bulgaria

Tuesday 10th Feb: 08:20 Zoe my daughter picks me up from home to take me to catch my coach which leaves the bus station in Huddersfield to Luton Airport. We take Leiland ( my grandson) to school on the way. After parking up we walk to the bus station and having spare time we decide to pop into a cafe adjoining the station. Coffee ( which tasted like hot watery milk) and a toasted currant T cake with god knows what on it.. That should have been cheese- it was the worst god damn Brekky I ever had and now, 6 hours, a packet oh Haribo and a fag later, I can still taste that disgusting mush..

Anyway. I set off.. Sat down, looked for a plug socket, because my phone died while I was asleep and I almost slept in due to this, and guess what!! NO plug.. The stress levels were building, finally I found one..and began to calm down.
A few stops later we emerge onto the motorway, at 14:40 arriving at Milton Keynes where my ticket states   a wait of an hour.. Whilst the driver sorted out the  baggage of people leaving the bus, I nip off for a quick smoke..not had I finished my fag.. and the driver was again in his seat.. Me being behind a gate then a barrier because it's no smoking everywhere, even outside.. I was slightly concerned that he was going to go without me..  I shouted to him are you going now "yes" came the reply.. As the guy with a high viz jacket who worked there thought he was security guard at the palace.. Watched as I approached the coach! With my FAG - in horror. I quickly dispersed of my nicotine fix and boarded the coach, in relief, but the plug socket didn't work and my battery was again running out after playing Bubble Witch to calm me.

Still confused about my ticket as to why it said the coach would be leaving Milton Keynes at 15:55 I studied the print out carefully!!!
OMG.. it says change coach..I watched traffic signs on the motorway, now very concerned that I should of stayed and finished my fix.. I saw a sign for Luton Airport, and hoped that the driver was just behind on time so didn't wait.. NOPE.. he didn't turn off at the Luton sign, I jumped out of my seat and sat next to the driver asking him if he was indeed going to Luton.. NO was the dreaded reply I received.. SHIT "I AM" I said in a worried, stressed and weary voice.."where are you going" he replied "London Victoria" oh Fuck..how am I going to get to Luton????

He smiled..I wasn't impressed.. "It's ok" he says theres lots of coaches going to Luton they are every half an hour. With this I relaxed because it was now about 15:00 and my flight wasn't until 20:50 I would still be there in plenty of time. As we approached central London he calls someone at the depot, explaining my situation and asked if it would be possible for me to jump on a coach to Luton when we arrive.. "yes, no problem, tell her to go to gate 11".


After arriving, I go straight to departures, and find gate 11.. empty..Hmm this doesn't loo good. A hot food stand was right next to me.. I could do with a coffee, and something good to eat after that awful breakfast, which was still lingering in my mouth. But I had no time to spare, I needed to get to the airport. I then found a board stating which coach was going where and from which bay..Nothing for bay 11, but there was one at bay10..across the road.
I rushed over there, I still wasn't sure at this time if I would even get on the coach, I had 10 mins to spare, but didn't dare go and get food & coffee in case I missed it. At last the driver came over and checked peoples tickets, the girl before me was showing her ticket on her phone.. The driver was stern, and explained to her that what she was showing was in fact a pic taken of a ticket, this was not acceptable she needed either a print out or the email.. I was now stressing that he would NOT let me on.. I explained what happened and he grunted and huffed, grabbed my luggage and I was on..YAY!!
At last I'm on the coach leaving London Victoria at 16:40 wondering how long it was going to take.

The coach drove all round London stopping every so often to pick people up, it was now rush hour and as we all know anywhere is bad at this time but LONDON is horrendous, fortunately the driver was no push over when it came to driving, he was ruthless, I guess you have to be in London, or you won't get anywhere. An hour has passed by, and we are in Finchley, I put maps on my phone to get an idea of how long it will take, from where we were it was another hour..ARGHhhhh..

Anyway, I arrived in time for my flight after all that.. I even had time for food and a spot of shopping, so I guess I should appreciate the fact I had a free tour of London thrown in.

I leisurely sat eating in Frankie & Benny's with my phone plugged in, charging it to make my all important calls before boarding the plane, I popped into boots and duty free, before making my way over to the gate..Suddenly I remembered that I hadn't purchased travel insurance..so quickly at the back of the queue, got my laptop out and began searching emails I had received quotes from insurance company's, No internet.. I had to fill out a form to join Luton Airports free half an hour internet connection- I'm on.. get my quote open, go to buy- NOTHING.. blank page, try again and again but no it doesn't seem to want my money.. the queue is going down, so i put it away and board the plane without it.

On the plane I am now getting excited about where I'm going, I can't sleep so start working on a presentation I'm doing at a photography club on my return. I don't have all the pics I need but at least I can make a start, which will save time when I'm back, as it's two days after.
On arrival, theres a duty free shop right next to the baggage collection.. WOW! off to buy some fags..
At Luton you can only buy them if you are flying to a NON EU country.. so maybe thats why this shop is here.. and to be honest it worked out better because they are cheaper haha..

Got bag, got fags, now to find my FREE transfer to my hotel..hmm no-one holding a sign with my name on.. its obvious to the local guys that try and earn some fast cash buy overcharging us stupid English people who can't work out the exchange rate or be bothered to..
A guy heads straight for me.. "No thanks" I say.."I have someone coming for me".. he follows me like Hank on heat..
Its 02:15.. I've had a long day, no-one is here for me,, so guess what? I took his taxi.. On our way to the car, he tells me about the other drivers and how they will take you all round Sofia to get to the Hotel which is less than 5mins away.. NOT him..he will take me straight there, even though I remember checking on the map how far it was from the Hotel, he seems to be doing a good job of making it seem further..
How much is that- BIG mistake.. I should of agreed a price before getting in the car.. "40 Lev without tip" he says.. "how much is that in £'s" he tells me its about £12.. and then wants a tip..haha. it was a stones throw from the airport and my transfer from the hotel was FREE.. I gave him the 40L and he was surprised I hadn't given a tip, and asked for another 20lev  "are you joking.. your tip is in there" he was almost begging me.. and I felt sorry for him, I remember a friend telling me how poor this country is.. who wouldn't try and pull a fast one given the opportunity, so I went half way and gave him 10. Fs, I'm a pushover.. wish I was loaded so it didn't play on my mind all night that I had just been ripped off.

11th Feb 2014

I had almost no sleep.. woke up when it came light, because I didn't close the curtains..oops
after struggling to open my eyes, I lifted my head to look out of the window, WOW!! mountains and snow.. the view was stunning, I had to get up..and go outside for a smoke, just so I could take in  the view.
Breakfast was good, lots of coffee, juice and continental food, back to my room for a shower, and lay down on the bed but can't sleep, I'm excited, but I'm getting my moneys worth out of this room since I didn't arrive till after 2am..
I'm currently sat in the lobby waiting for Les Johnson to land at 14:00 pick up his hire car and come for me.. More later.



No comments:

Post a Comment